We are looking for a Principal (or Senior Staff) level backend developer who has extensive experience with software design, bigger-picture thinking, and who can help advance Unbounce’s software engineering discipline through technical mentorship of our Senior and Staff level developers.
You will work within a tech enablement team consisting of Staff and Senior Staff developers, whose focus is on driving the technical vision across the Engineering department. This team is in support of the other development teams and helps them ensure all services are built for long-term health.
A little bit about you:
- You have experience leading cross-team initiatives in medium to large Engineering organizations.
- You have experience mentoring Senior and Staff level developers.
- You have a proven ability to advocate for good Engineering practices, particularly with backend technologies.
- You default to thinking long-term, you have a vision
- You can also work as a high-energy kick-starter for the first 10% of new strategic initiatives before they find a permanent home team.
- You can engage with different groups comfortably (Developers, Product Managers, UX Designers, Senior Leaders, Engineering Managers) and are able to communicate with leaders efficiently, for example, to encourage the allocation of work capacity to backend investment work.
We believe the ideal candidate will have experience in:
- Large scale cloud-hosted systems, ideally multi-region AWS deployments. We use Lambda, managed Kubernetes, EC2 instances, Kinesis, and SNS, among others
- Multiple languages and tech stacks. Our default for new services is Typescript running in Lambda or in Node.js on Kubernetes. We also have Ruby, Java, and Clojure systems.
- Full software development lifecycle - from ideation through to releasing and supporting production systems.
- Domain Driven Design
- Nice to have: Experience with or an interest in ML models as part of production systems.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will own and drive the backend architecture and tooling across teams at Unbounce. You will ensure that our architecture facilitates developer productivity, reduces collaboration friction, and allows Unbounce to more efficiently deliver great customer experiences. You will own API specifications and schemas to ensure maintainability across projects.
- You will work with teams to set and define standards, tools, and common technologies across the Engineering department. You will lead or facilitate discussions that support the cohesion of systems across Unbounce, to ensure that shared tools, libraries, and repos are properly owned and supported. You will promote a forward-thinking attitude, personally researching and experimenting with tooling, practices, and frameworks that could empower the Engineering organization.
- You will collaborate with Engineering Managers and their teams to support developers via white-boarding, domain modeling, pairing, and architectural & production readiness reviews.
- You will be a spokesperson for backend engineering across the organization. You will be in constant communication with product leaders and tech leads, to communicate technical and business impacts of backend initiatives. You will support and coach Tech Leads from different teams on those initiatives.
- You will be accountable for Unbounce’s Backend Chapter, ensuring someone is running it, and that it is run on a timely basis and that it is purposeful and useful to those involved.
What’s in it for you:
- A remote friendly office with flexible hours - for this role we will consider all applications from those based in Canada with the option to work from our Vancouver office
- 4 weeks vacation plus Christmas Holiday Closure - you're entitled to the week of Christmas off with pay through to and including Jan 1st
- Vacation bonus - $1,000.00
- 12 Personal Wellness Days (This includes: Personal day, Moving day, Sick day, etc)
- Health and Wellness budget - $500.00
- Networking budget - $500.00
- A paid day off for your birthday
- One paid Volunteer day per year
- All Unbouncers are encouraged to dedicate 10% of their time to Pro-D time
Unbounce Welcomes Everyone to Apply
At Unbounce, we want every employee to be excited to bring their full, authentic self to work. When you do this – when you bring your unique experiences, background, knowledge, perspective, and self-expression while embracing the same from others – we learn from each other, we innovate, and we co-create an environment where Unbouncers can do the best work of their careers. We’re bolder and more brilliant together.
We’re dedicated to ensuring each Unbouncers feels a sense of belonging, feels safe, cared for, respected and valued for who they are, and trusts that their unique voice is heard, embraced, and meaningfully contributes to decision-making. We’re committed to equitable employee experience, opportunity, pay and support for every employee regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, family or marital status, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, or any other characteristic that makes you unique. We have no tolerance for sexism, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, ageism, or any other forms of hateful/harmful discrimination.
Please let us know if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.